Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Can I Use My Name As A Trademark?

One of the most common questions that I get is, “can I use my name as a trademark?” Well, as I often say, anything can serve as a trademark so long as it is distinctive and distinguishes your goods from others’ goods. So yes, a name can serve as a trademark.

There are currently many examples of names being used as trademarks, so why this question keeps coming up is a mystery to me. Consider the following trademarks, which are all names:

RALPH LAUREN for clothing, shoes, perfume, household textiles, gift items, and furniture.

ESTEE LAUDER for cosmetics, perfume, and skin care products.

TOM FORD for sunglasses, clothing, shoes, handbags, cosmetics, and accessories.

First names can also serve as trademarks:

KYLIE for cosmetics.

CHER for entertainment services (interestingly, it doesn’t appear that Madonna has registered a trademark for her first name).

Some assumed or stage names have also been registered:

PITBULL for musical sound recordings, music videos, sunglasses and mobile phone cases.

COOLIO for for musical sound recordings, music videos, clothing, and entertainment services.

EMINEM for sound recordings, entertainment services, and clothing.

So, yes, absolutely names can serve as trademarks. There are some things you need to pay attention to when you file the application for a name, however, so be sure to consult with an attorney before filing.

I’m on Facebook! “Like” my facebook page,  to be notified every time I go LIVE. Do you have trademark questions? Message me on the Trademark Doctor Facebook page, and I’ll answer your questions on a future Live video.

Contact Dallas, Texas trademark attorney Angela Langlotz today to get started on a trademark application for your valuable brand.


Can I Use My Name As A Trademark? posted first on https://trademarkdoctor.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment